[PLUTO-help] Freeze at boot using Mdk 10.1 Official

Andrea Colangelo warp10 a libero.it
Dom 20 Feb 2005 17:37:03 CET

Hi all!

I have an unusual problem on my Acer Aspire 2023WLMi (a Centrino
laptop), and I hope someone of you can help me.

I installed (from dvd) Mdk 10.1 Official. Installing goes straight, and
he recognizes and configures pratically each device. First reboot goes
ok, and everything works well, except for the network interfaces that
are unconfigured.

Anyway, from second boot the problem appear. The boot goes straight up
to this point:

Inizializing  firewire controller (ohci 1394) ... OK
Starting netprofil ... OK
INIT: entering runlevel: 5
Starting non interactive boot
Starting udev...

And then the system freezes for a couple minutes, with keyboard not
working and silent HD. Then it starts again and happily ends boot.

I disabled network services at boot, but nothing changes. I disabled,
udev, and freeze happens at "starting dkms". I disabled even dkms and it
freeze on "Starting pcmcia". Finally, I disabled all services, and also
changed the default runlevel to 3 and then 2: nothing changes.

A curious thing is that booting in runlevel 2 (so, without graphic and
nfs), the login prompt appears, and an istant later the system freeze. I
wait a couple minute, and the cursor start blinking again and I can log
and fully use the system.

No more ideas about the problem. Do you have any?

If you need details about laptop configuration or any system log, just ask.

Thank you in advance and sorry for my bad english. :)

Puritanesimo: l'ossessionante paura che qualcuno, da qualche parte,
potrebbe essere felice. (H. L. Mencken)

Andrea Colangelo
http://www.warp10.it