[ILDP-LFS] Fwd: [ANNOUNCE]: Pre-Release of new livecd

bombadur bombadur a email.it
Dom 30 Gen 2005 23:20:23 CET

- ----------  Forwarded Message  ----------

Subject: [ANNOUNCE]: Pre-Release of new livecd
Date: Saturday 29 January 2005 17:10
From: Jeremy Huntwork
To: lfs-dev a linuxfromscratch.org

Hey Everyone:

Ok. Heads up, this is bound to be a long post.

First of all a new iso is available for testing - this is *very much* a
pre-release. There are several things that I know need adjusting with
 it, and a few other features and packages I have in mind to add.  But
 I'm releasing this now so that you all can have a peek at it and make
 any suggestions or comments.

Here is the new iso:

ftp://ftp.lfs-matrix.de/pub/lfs-livecd/livecd-6.0.9-20050128-pre1.iso

Robert and Roel, can you guys grab this iso and its md5sum and place
 them on your mirrors as well, please?

Now ;) if you're going to make any comments/suggestions on this iso,
 please have a look here first, to see if I already have it noted in my
 TODO:

http://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/TODO?root=livecd&view
=markup

Secondly, one new thing about this version of the cd, is that I have it
entirely scripted via Makefiles - from a blank partition to a finished
 iso. I'm hoping that this will help me to easily make adjustments to
 the cd and/or correct major bugs. I'm also hoping it will allow others
 to jump in and give me a hand on this project. I am aware that there
 are likely to be many improvements to be made with the makefiles
 (perhaps even to the point of an entire re-write) but hopefully, as I
 work on documenting them now, it will allow others to see the steps I
 take to build a cd and offer suggestions.

With that said, if you'd like to look at the Makefiles and/or use them:

svn co svn://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/livecd/trunk lfs-livecd

Keep in mind that these are still very much under development, and
 until I actually release a version, they're likely to be broken at any
 given time, though they have successfully built an iso for me several
 times.

Thirdly, I'd like some help/suggestions on versioning - I'll have both
 the isos and the Makefiles to version now and any suggestions on the
 best way to do that will be helpful. Matt Burgess already suggested
major-minor-patch numbers and that seems wise - the livecd will also
 always follow a particular LFS version as a base, too, though so it
 might be wise to include that in the version. The current iso reflects
 that in that it has 6.0.9 indicating a pre-release of LFS 6.1.
 However, the Makefiles introduce a new entity and I'd like those to be
 properly versioned, and perhaps have the cd relflect those. Ideas?

And finally, there is one known issue with the current iso that I can't
 seem to track down.  Whenever I bring up my network on the cd, logins
 on the terminals hang.  I can login in multiple terminals just fine
 before I bring up the network, but once the network is up, I can't
 login.  Current terminals continue to work, but logins fail.  Then, if
 I take down the network, I can login again.  Sound like a problem with
 shadow, or iproute2? The same issue occurs on various network cards
 and regardless of whether I use dhcpcd or a static ip.

Just today I made some changes to the makefiles to reflect updates to
 the testing branch, which included a change to shadow, so if that's
 the problem, this may be fixed in the next iso.

[cheese]
I'm hoping that with this new setup (ie, the repository, the ml, and
 the makefiles) a new era is born for LFS livecds, but it all depends
 on you guys. ;)
[end cheese]

p.s.: I forgot to mention that I will be tarring up the kernel source I
 used and making it available online in the future, too - if that's
 useful to anyone...

- --
Jeremy Huntwork
- --

- --
* Coltivate Linux, tanto Window$© si pianta da solo *
* MajaGLUG member   http://www.teppisti.it          *
* LinuxFromScratch Compiler #12000 (ServoLinux-2.0) *
* gpg-key on www.keyserver.net                      *