[Pluto-journal] Prossimo PW

Marina Sturino marina a pluto.linux.it
Dom 24 Feb 2002 01:24:44 CET

Nicola wrote:

> Marina Sturino wrote:
>

>> X Nicola:  mescolare tag xpj con tag html normale non funziona.
>

> ok
>

>> Marco ha usato XPathScript nel documento che ci ha inviato, io probabilmente usero' XSL perche' mi e' piu' familiare,specie se devo descrivere pagine graficamente complesse
>> Uno sguardo alla doc di XPath Script
>> gliela daro' comunque
>>
>> Appena possibile installo AxKit su un mio PC di casa, solo cosi' posso provare a scrivere un XSL che formatti un articolo di prova.
>>

> basta installare solo AxKit per poter provare xpj o occorre altro software? (fogli di stile a parte)

Dovrebbe bastare solo AxKit, che pero' su debian potato puo' dare qualche rogna in fase di configurazione, per via di un alibreria.

Vi giro il mini howto che mi ha inviato Marco ieri.

Ciao!
Marina

---

How to install AxKit on Debian 2.2 "Potato"
Marco Marongiu <bronto a crs4.it>
CRS4 - Centro di Ricerca, Sviluppo e Studi Superiori in Sardegna
       Center for Research, Development and Adv. Studies in Sardinia

Disclaimer: take this as a sort of installation notes. I am _NOT_
responsible for _ANY_ damage you may cause on your system following
these instructions. Your mileage may vary, you have been warned!

This document is short and may be incomplete for low-end users. In
that case, you are kindly encouraged to take a look at the man pages
when you get stuck on something (e.g.: man sources.list)

This document is Copyright (C), 2001 Marco Marongiu, and can be
distributed under the same license of AxKit.

Introduction
------------
Debian 2.2 has some problems that prevent the correct installation of
AxKit. Trying to compile it fails when looking for the iconv()
function, even if all seems in place. Anyway, I love my Debian and I
_WANT_ to run AxKit on it.

This document explains how I made it.

First step: update your libc6
-----------------------------
Point your apt to the nearest Debian mirror: edit
/etc/apt/sources.list and point to the testing distribution. You
should delete the lines added at this step when you finish, so maybe
you would like to make a copy of your original sources.list and
replace it later.

After that, update your system information about available packages
and upgrade the libc:

apt-get update
apt-get install libc6

You will be asked to confirm the upgrade a _LOT_ of packages. Cross
your fingers, put your helmet on and do it. It will take some time and
it will ask you to regenerate your locales. Take your time to do it,
don't be in a hurry.

Second step: work on Perl
-------------------------

Unfortunately enough, mod_perl will fail compiling with the version of
Perl you get when you upgrade the libc, and that's a pity. I had two
choices: install the mod_perl "library" from testing or recompile Perl
5.6.1 by myself. I chose to recompile Perl, so I can't guarantee that
installing the testing-bundled mod_perl will work with AxKit. You can
try, but if it doesn't work you will have to step into the ./Configure
script of perl sources. Sorry.

Third step: install Apache and mod_perl
---------------------------------------

I compiled Apache 1.3.20 and mod_perl by myself. Again, bundled apache
and mod_perl _may_ work, I didn't test.

Fourth step: AxKit
------------------

Download a copy of AxKit from a CPAN mirror of your choice or from
wherever you want. I personally use the fantastic CPAN module.
Take a look on the module list you do have to install before AxKit and
the ones you may want to have. Install them the way you wish (I warmly
suggest the CPAN module again!). After installing all the
prerequisites you need, install AxKit (there is a lot of documentation
in the sources on how to do it, so I won't repeat it here).

Fifth step: play the game!

If you got through until here, you have AxKit installed! If you are
new to it, read the docs; if not, have a good time with a fantastic
XML Application Server on a fantastic Linux distribution :-)