[PLUTO-refun] Re: HP 9000/345 with OpenBSD-4.0/hp300 snapshot

Miod Vallat miod at online.fr
Thu Nov 16 14:04:13 CET 2006

> 	Finally we succeed to find the time to netboot an HP 9000/345.
> 	In attachment you find the console log and the "dmesg" output.
> 	No good news for you I suppose. We netbooted via rbootd, console
> 	was serial. If we can help you please tell it us.

Thank you very much for this test!

In the old roosta dmesg, the frame buffer was not detected, which is why
I was worried. In this test, it is still not found, but the PROM does not
detect it either.

This can happen either because the board itself is defective, or because
of a misconfiguration.

If you look at the graphics board as pictured on
http://www.pluto.it/files/refun/roosta/roosta-04.jpg
you will notice a set of 8 dip switches to the bottom edge of the board.
These dip switches configure the so-called ``select code'' value for the
board.

For DIO-II boards like this one, the select code should be either in the
1-32 range, or in the 128-255 range. The factory configuration should
be the select code 1, and the picture looks like the dip switches
are set as 00000001 binary, hence select code 1.

You might want to check the video board, make sure its connections are
not loose, and that the select code is correct. You might want to try
different values - it should get detected and the PROM will report it
as ``Bit Mapped Video at XX'', where XX is the select code of the
board.

Miod