[PLUTO-soci] [Eulug-discuss] LinuxFest: Brainstorming

Alberto Cammozzo mmzz a stat.unipd.it
Mar 19 Apr 2005 14:22:44 CEST

	Per informazione...

	In lista EU-Lug (lista dei LUG/FSUG europei) e' in corso
	una discussione sul fare un Linux Day europeo, con
	conseguenti cambiamenti di data, etc...

	ciao
		Alberto

----- Forwarded message from Cristiano Paris <c.paris a email.it> -----

From: Cristiano Paris <c.paris a email.it>
To: EuroLug main discussions <eulug-discuss a eurolug.org>
Subject: [Eulug-discuss] LinuxFest: Brainstorming

So it seems that "the Europe-wide event" is gaining a lot of positive
feedback. I think it's time to discuss more in depth the different
aspects of the event:

- The name of the event.
  * I propose "LinuxFest" (the domain linuxfest.org and many other
national domains are available). Any other name should contain the word
"Linux" in it.
- When should the event be held?
- How the central team should be organized?
  * I think we should distinguish the tools used by the central team
from those seen by the public. I think a plain mailing list should
suffice at the moment. We can arrange a Wiki later.
- What should go in the common understanding among all the groups (the
guidelines)?
  * I think that the guidelines should be as simple as possible in
order to allow maximum freedom for every group partecipating to the
event. For instance the event arranged by the local groups must promote
only free software (which license? I foresee a flame war here :)), must
be open to everyone and completely free of charge and so on.
- What shouldn't go in the common understandig?
 * See the above. For example we should never restrict the schedule or
impose a sponsor.

In addition I'm confident that the Linux User Group in Rome (Lugroma)
will be glad to provide technological support to the central team even
for the public resources. Recently we've acquired a new rackmountable
server (a 3Ghz Xeon with 3GB of RAM) located into a server farm with a
gigabit-class connection to the Internet.

Cristiano