[ILDP-LFS] Fwd: bootscripts, looking for testers

bombadur bombadur a email.it
Sab 27 Nov 2004 23:14:53 CET

- ----------  Forwarded Message  ----------

Subject: bootscripts, looking for testers
Date: Thursday 25 November 2004 11:07
From: Nathan Coulson
To: lfs-dev a linuxfromscratch.org, blfs-dev a linuxfromscratch.org

since LFS 6.0 is more or less out, and we will probably be moving
things from unstable to testing soon, Jeremy wants me to get another
updated bootscript tarball going.

again, I have not tested this since all the changes on November 25th,
and it must successfully be able to bootup and shutdown without
failurs before I release 3.0-rc1.

URL
 http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~nathan/lfs-bootscripts/lfs-bootscript
s-20041125.tar.bz2

I made a few more auxillary changes as well, but I'll list the major
 changes

* hotplug is installed by default
* syslog-ng is installed by default
* consolelog optional script was added, [it can set the console's
 logging level] * module script temporairly sets loglevel to 1 when
 mounting modules, required otherwise the text will get messed up
* bootscript logging is complete, in most cases, replace echo's with
boot_mesg, and evaluate_retval will send it to /bin/logger
* line wrapping should work better then it has in the past now, at the
expense of boot_mesg being a complicated function
* udev now mounts a tmpfs instead of a ramfs [saw some talk on the
mailing lists about this, it can be pulled out before 3.0 if this is
not wanted].
* sysctl is added in mountkernfs [not sure if it belongs there, see
 FUTURE] * udev sets /sbin/hotplug as the hotplug handler now
* tinkered with halt command
* an optional LSB compliant functions file was added, not installed by
 default.

FUTURE:
I am going to add jim's parallel bootscripts into contrib/something,
for the 3.0 release.

Right now, we got a optional script that can set the kernel verbose
log level, and we got sysctl inside mountkernfs script.  We could
combine these two, and make another script that starts after
mountkernfs. [after the 3.0 release]

I'm also planning to move some bootscripts over to the LSB functions
file.  It seems to work rather well, and me and Alexander tested what
we could.  [it's very simular to what we got now, and has a different
way of working with pidfile's]. [planned for the 4.0 release]
http://refspecs.freestandards.org/LSB_2.0.1/LSB-Core/LSB-Core/facilname
.html

Alexander gave me some examples of what we would need for
internationalization, [which was emailed to lfs-hackers
http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-hackers/2004-Nove
mber/002803.html]. I wanted to move to the LSB first, before we dabbled
 in this though.

Right now, the LFS Bootscripts installs a few example files into
/etc/sysconfig, and backs up existing files.  I would rather see more
documentation in the book about such configuration then making
backups.  [unspecified date.  What we got works fine, and this is just
a future wish]

FINAL CONCERNS:
I attempted to mention this a few times, but did not get many
implementation of boot_mesg.  It gives us the benefits of bootscript
logging and line wrapping.  Also, jim's parallel bootscripts use this
function to cache text until the task is done before printing
[otherwise he would have to rewrite all the scripts to work with his
parallel bootscript system]

BLFS FUTURE:
I am hoping that with the lsb functions file, we could use bootscripts
created by other packages, and have it output the exact same way as
our custom bootscripts do.  I do not know of any LSB compliant
bootscripts in any BLFS pacakges though, or any plans that anyone has
for creating them.

- --
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
- ------
nathan at linuxfromscratch org
conathan at gmail com
- --

- --
* Coltivate Linux, tanto Window$© si pianta da solo *
* MajaGLUG member   http://www.teppisti.it          *
* LinuxFromScratch Compiler #12000 (ServoLinux-2.0) *
* gpg-key on www.keyserver.net                      *