[PLUTO-refun] Testing recent OS on ReFUN hardware

Danilo Selvestrel Danilo.Selvestrel at oapd.inaf.it
Tue Sep 5 09:12:23 CEST 2006

Miod Vallat wrote:
> Hello,

    Hi Miod,
>   I have discovered Pluto very recently; as an old workstation collector
> myself, I appreciate your efforts and the time you have invested in
> saving these machines and keeping them in working condition.

    We appreciate someone is interested in our activity...
>   I couldn't help but notice that your hp300 machines (fenchurch and
> roosta) are running quite old OpenBSD versions. As an OpenBSD developer

    We have no time to upgrade our systems, it's indeed a big success if
    we find the time to install other boxes. Here only two guys take care of
    these "wheelbarrows".
> myself, and responsible for the recent hp300 developments, I would be
> very interested in seeing dmesg of the forthcoming OpenBSD 4.0 on them
> [if you do not want to upgrade them, could you at least boot bsd.rd?] -

    Yes, we can, as soon as it's possible. But I can't do forecasts
about the
    date.
> especially on roosta since it seems its topcat(4) frame buffer is not
> detected in the current kernel you're running on it, and this is clearly
> a bug...
>
>   If you have some spare time and Digital keyboards and mice available,
> you might be interested in trying recent OpenBSD on your video-capable
> VAXens as well (lunkwill and pizpot - fook's mono frame buffer is not
> supported yet).

    Yeah, at least for "pizpot"; lunkwill and fook are VXT Xwindow
terminals,
    they must boot from the network through a VAX binary.
>   Please keep me in cc: of any answers, as I am not subscribed to this
> list.

    You can subscribe to it if you want, it's not a busy list.
> PS: fenchurch has a 25MHz 68040, not a 50MHz one (which never existed).

    It's correct, thanks a lot. 50MHz version was tested but not released.
    I trusted too much of personal documentation.

    I downloaded the snapshots for vax and hp300 platforms. As soon as
we can
    we will do the tests you asked. A lot of patience is required...
    Best regards,
                      Danilo

  Danilo Selvestrel              Danilo.Selvestrel at oapd.inaf.it
  FAX:  +39 049 8759840     INAF - Astronomical Observatory of Padova
  WORK: +39 049 8293440     Via dell'Osservatorio 5, 1 - 35122 Padova
.:.:.:.:.:.:. Immortality:  signal(SIGKILL, SIG_IGN); .:.:.:.:.:.:.:.