[PLUTO-help] SuSE & FTP

Stefano Callegari stefano a omniluxlighting.it
Gio 7 Ago 2003 00:19:30 CEST

Il 06ago 15:35, MacLubix scrisse:
> On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:42:10 +0200, Stefano Callegari wrote:
> >
> > Oops, ma tu parli di installazione o aggiornamento?
>
> installazione, Watson, installazione...
> >
> > Nel primo caso dovresti farti un floppy (come da istruzioni sul sito) e
> > poi dovebbe fare lui. Non ho mai provato (non ho la fibra ottica :-\)
> > ma nel caso penso chieda quello dell'ftp di suse (credo). Il sito che
> > dice?
> allora: come da (pseudo)istruzioni su linuxiso.org, ho tirato gių il

Ma hai visto nel posto giusto?

http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/suse_linux/index.html

> file boot.iso e l'ho messo su cd, dopodichč ho avviato la procedura,

Su CD? Basta un floppy.

[cut]
> cambiato mirror, trovando l'IP con lo stesso sistema, solo che poi mi
> chiede la directory esatta alla quale collegarsi, e lė son dolori,

 The path to the installation directory is
ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/current/

> perchč mi viene chiesta username e password per entrare e vedere il
> loro tree :-(
>
> e mo'?
>
> "ovviamente" sul sito della SuSE non c'č praticamente scritto una
> favazza...

This SuSE Linux 8.2 installation tree is suitable for installation via
ftp, http, nfs, smb or hard disk.

System requirements

  You need at least 96MB main memory. To install on a machine with less
  memory a (linux) swap partition is necessary.

Preparation

  o booting from floppy

    Download the floppy disk image boot/bootdisk as well as the module
    disk image files you need (at least boot/modules1 and likely the
    network modules from boot/modules3).

    Write the images to floppy disks using the 'dd' command:

      dd if=[path_to_image] of=/dev/fd0 bs=36b

    On non-linux systems, use the rawrite utility from the
    dosutils/rawrite directory (rawrite.exe).

  o booting from CD

    Download the iso image boot/boot.iso and burn a CD with it.

Installation

  Boot from CD/floppy and at the bootpromt enter the installation
  source:

    linux install=ftp://ftp_server/directory

  Remember to substitute 'ftp_server' and 'directory' with the
  appropriate values (e.g. install=ftp://[IP-ADDRESS]/pub/suse/i386/8.2
  if you're installing from the SuSE ftp server).

  Alternatively, choose 'manual installation' and configure the network
  in the installation program.

Preparing your own installation server

  Just copy the whole installation tree to your local disk and make it
  available via network.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  !!!!                  IMPORTANT NOTE
!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  If you get errors such as "No installation media found on server" or
  "Package foo.rpm does not exist" it most likely means that
        a) The ftp/http server you are using is not accepting new
           connections.
        b) You've misconfigured the local network or proxy settings
  In either case, please don't contact ftpadmin about this since
  we can't fix your network and/or have no control over how busy the
  ftp servers are.

Scusate la lunghezza, ma mi sembra ci sia tutto e nemmeno cosė
difficile da applicare (per la serie non denigratemi la suse :-) )

Ciao e buon download
--
Stefano Callegari <stefano a omniluxlighting.it>
Omnilux Srl